Thursday, January 27, 2011

"The Reading Environment"

Please read the selection below. What valuable information can you provide students regarding their reading environment? How can this help you professionally as a tutor? Please respond to at least one of your peers' posts.

"The Reading Environment"

There are many things which can interfere with effective reading. Some of these involve common sense, and can be easily changed. Others are more subtle, and may require long and patient effort if they are to be overcome. Obviously, we should make the simple changes first, since these will give the greatest improvement with the least effort.

Something which most people can control rather easily is their reading environment. A poor physical setting can make reading far more difficult than it has to be, and yet a little planning can get around most of the harmful elements you may find. It is a question of motivation. We usually can do what we really want to do!

· Lighting. Often it is helpful to do your reading- the bulk of it, at least- in the same place. Check the lighting there. Is it adequate? You should be able to see the page without strain. Does the light create a glare, or are you in the habit of reading in the direct sunlight? Either extreme-too much light or too little- can cause strain and fatigue, and lower your reading efficiency.

· Ventilation. Stuffy rooms put you to sleep. You should have plenty of fresh air(but not a draft) and the temperature should be fairly cool. Otherwise, you'll find yourself going to sleep over the most exciting books.

· Reading Position. Your position should be neither too comfortable nor too uncomfortable. The first condition puts you right back to sleep again. In fact, some people "read themselves to sleep" in bed every night- which is fine if sleep, rather than reading, is what you're after. An uncomfortable position can create a strain, however subtle, which results in fatigue.

· Focal Distance. Hold your book at an angle and keep it about 18 inches from your eyes. Remember: Long arms are not a substitute for corrective lenses. If you need glasses, wear them while you read. Persistent fatigue while studying or reading might be Nature's way of telling you that glasses are needed. Have an optometrist check your close-range vision.

· Distractions. Most important, what about distractions you can see and hear? No matter what you think, tests show that you can only pay attention to one thing at a time. If you sit near a door or window, every movement will claim your attention. If you have a radio or record player going, your concentration may continually wander from book to sound. And reading with the television going combines the worst of all possible distractions.

Give yourself every break. If you are going to read, prepare things so you can read unhindered. If there is something more important, put the book aside. There are times to read and, just as definitely, there are times when reading must give way to other considerations.

Source:

8 comments:

  1. I initially started working as a Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader for English Speakers of Other Languages. Lately, I have been working as a math tutor. Although reading does not come into play as much in math classes, all the factors mentioned in Tanya's post certainly apply. I can only speak for myself, but from my experience, the factors that have hindered my concentration the most are the reading position and the distractions. The more upright my position is, the most I will make out of my study session. Aside from the position itself, the seating may also come into play. I am prone to falling asleep if my chair is excessively comfortable. With respect to distractions, I usually study at places where I feel confident I will not bump into anyone I know. The reason for this, is that I like interacting/networking and get easily carried away; consequently, wasting my allotted study time. If a student tells me he/she is having a hard time getting his readings done, I would ask him/her about his/her study conditions. If his/her conditions could use improvement, I would throw in a couple of pointers (like the ones mentioned in Tanya's blog). If he/she seems to be doing everything right and there is still no progress I would refer the student to someone who can be of more help (counselor); there maybe some underlying conditions (dyslexia, etc.) that is holding him/her back.

    Improving our reading environment is important not only because we will be able to focus better, but also because this added focus will in turn optimize our study session, allowing us to make time or take part in other tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Shindo. Being too comfortable is an easy way to fall asleep while reading, especially if yhe subject is particularly boring. I find that I have to be in an area with a little bit of noise, but not too much. I always try to ask the students that I tutor about where they usually study. If they tell me that they study in a noisy house or area with lots of distractions, I try to encourage them to study at the center or possibly the library. I have had some come back and thank me for the suggestion as it helps them improve their concentration and their grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I am new in the SSC, I have been privileged to help a few students. Mostly with MS office. I find that students are afraid of the unknown. They read too fast and misunderstand the instructions. When I tell them to slow down and take a couple of deep breaths, they tend to relax and are better able to decipher the information better. I find that all of the suggestions in the article above are helpful not only to students but to my person life as well. I think Shindo too hit the nail on the head so to speak. I really like reading at home in my rocker/recliner. It is comfortable but I have never fallen asleep in it while reading. I do fall asleep if I am in bed reading. Why? I don't know. One thing I need to change is that I usually study while watching TV. I guess I need to get used to no TV but the distraction comes from too much quiet. That is my personal dilemma. I like plenty of light. I think the article has some great information. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the past, I have used reading as somewhat of a sedative to help me sleep. Now I find it difficult to read, even a couple pages, without getting extremely sleepy. I have practiced poor reading habits and am now finding them difficult to break. Tanya has given good advice about the reading environment. I can/will pass these tips on to my students and adopt them for myself as well. I agree that lighting is key to an ideal study space. Most places at the school provide sufficient light for studying which really benefits the students. I attempt to study at home where there isn't sufficient light due to my taste in decor and more often than not, find it hard to get motivated about studying in the dim lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These tips are spot on. I can completely agree, from experience, that being too comfortable while reading or studying is a bad idea. I am prone to get into bed and attempt to study my notes from class, which almost always results in falling asleep, and is therefore completely pointless. Since being an example of bad reading habits (as well as an example of changing these habits) I can relay this information onto tutees who have trouble with concentrating on studying or reading class material. Reading is vital to the learning experience. I have had some students come to me with questions where the answer, or where to find the proper assistance, is clearly stated in the instructions. I like to emphasize slowly reading all instructions before attempting to work any problem on an assignment. Good reading habits are equivalent to good studying habits, and from studying comes student success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are all excellent tips for reading. In my experience i find that being comfortable doesn't just pertain to the chair you sit in, but also to the environment. Usually if i study in the same spot more than 3 or 4 times, i get too comfortable with the enviroment and my mind starts to stray. With a new enviroment, it keeps my mind focused and i tend to pay more attention to the task at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much like Cassie I find that students often have questions that they could easily have answered themselves if they had more carefully read the instructions, or better understood how to "google" their textbooks. A poor reading enviroment combined with a lack of emphasis on reading outside the academic world seems to be an annoying hurdle for many.

    I tend to suggest to people that they should find a moderately public place and read/study there. I know we are all very comfertable in our own homes, but I think that level of comfort can undermind non-recreational reading. It is simply too easy to stop reading and do something my enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Cassie and Mike. A lot of times, the answers students may be looking for can be very easily found by carefully reading the

    instructions. Many students make the mistake of reading too fast through the chapters, skipping a lot of valuable information that may lead them to the answer to their question. As a consequence, waste of time and frustration often occur.
    with regard to the Reading Enviroment, i prefer quiet, noise-free places where i would not have any kind of difficulties focusing on my reading. Centainly, when reading, it takes a lot of effort not to get distracted or fall asleep if the reading is not of our interest. Also, it is important that the position be not too confortable or we could fall asleep right away. I believe that how succesful our reading experience may be is determined by our degree of self-discipline. If we are able to overcome any kind of distractions when reading, we will get better at it everytime. After all, reading is just like any other activity that require self-determination and constant practice to do it properly. If our reading enviroment is appropriate, then all we need to do is just concentrate on whatever we are reading and the reading session will be successful. Eventually, it will take us less effort to concentrate on our reading, thus improving our reading skills.Lets keep in mind that becoming a good reader is a process that takes time to complete.
    I usually encourage my students to start improving their reading skills by doing their best at overcoming distractions. Also, I suggest them that they try to study at the library or at some other quiet place.

    ReplyDelete